Jewish Deaf leadership, Jewish learning, Jewish life, and Jewish community resources are all ingredients to building a strong Jewish Deaf Community. I am pleased to announce that after ten months of discussion and negotiation, the Hillel at Gallaudet (H@G) and the WSJD have solidified its partnership through the following:
- H@G and WSJD will work closely on joint activities for the Jewish Deaf community at Gallaudet and in Maryland, Virginia and DC. This will include ASL High Holy Days, social events, educational programs and much more.
- H@G and WSJD will jointly fund a part-time Director of Jewish Life and Learning position to work with both organizations. The person in this position would split his/her time between H@G and the WSJD community.
- The G@H Board of Directors has given WSJD a permanent seat on their Board.
This partnership will ensure more consistent support and shared resources for Jewish life and learning for the Jewish Deaf community at Gallaudet and in Maryland, DC, and Virginia.
The H@G and WSJD are just now beginning to take the next steps to recruit a qualified person to fill the Director of Jewish Life and Learning position. The process includes the following:
- Advertise the position for approximately 6 weeks;
- Form an interview panel with members from the Board of Directors of both organizations and the Jewish Deaf community to review resumes;
- Hold formal interviews;
- Make an offer to the finalist; and
The new Director of Jewish Life and Learning will begin late spring.
If you, or someone you know, is interested in serving on the interview panel, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, please help us spread the word about this new position.
As 2013 comes to a close, I would like to thank the Board of Directors of WSJD and H@G, all of our volunteers and members of the Jewish Deaf community for their support and dedication to programs and activities which foster Jewish community growth.
If you have already made a donation to H@G and WSJD, we thank you for your generosity. If you have not yet made a donation to H@G or WSJD, we strongly encourage that you do so. Your donation will help strengthen the G@H and WSJD partnership.
As the next few days approaches, the WSJD Board and I wish you and your loved ones a happy and healthy 2014!